Today and the Lovingkindness that Brought Us Here



If God laid out your future in writing, put it in an envelope, and placed it on your doorstep, would you open it?

I heard a visiting preacher ask this once when I was in college. I remember answering his question in my heart with a resounding, “Yes!”  College meant upcoming crossroads in my life, and the future looked bright and hopeful. I wanted to know what it looked like. I wanted a glimpse into the crystal ball I was sure would be joy to peer into.

This many years down the road, I’m glad I didn’t have an envelope back then or a glimpse into today.

Not because I’m unhappy with the way the Lord has led me. I could write a college-sized essay on the reasons I’m thankful the Lord has led me to where I am today.

But today came only after a series of yesterdays that prepared me for what my life looks like now.

Many of those yesterdays were “todays” I would have never chosen. Some were spent doubting. Many were full of tears. Others have been joy-filled and Spirit-filled. Still others have left me grateful for grace.

But every one of those day were molding days. Squeezing me into the will of God for my life and swallowing up my own plans and hopes that were so much less than the beautiful things God does in His time.




God doesn’t reveal an isolated moment in the future to us, because we couldn’t handle it yet.

I would have never chosen “today” back then in that college chapel seat.

I would have been unhappy to read what was written in that envelope. I would have shrunk back from what I saw in that crystal ball.

But I also would have missed all the days in between that make me so grateful for today.

I wouldn’t have seen the tears or laughter or growth or hard choices or felt the grace that has surrounded me day after day, carrying me into today’s will of God for my life.

“Exhort one another daily, while it is called, ‘Today,’”  Scripture tells us (Heb. 3:13).

Because today is God’s will for our lives and the only day we have to live right now.

See today as a string of moments planned by a God who led you here by His lovingkindness.

And if you do find an envelope on your doorstep with the words “Your Future Enclosed,” it’s very likely the only words you’ll find inside are the words, “Kept by the power of God” (1 Pet. 1:5).


“Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
my lips shall praise You.” (Psalm 63:3)



Comments

Popular Posts